Sunday, December 6, 2009

Theme Essay

One day, we were sitting in class when the teacher told us to create a name tag with graphics showing empathy and interdependence.  At first I didn't know what those words meant, but as soon as I found the definition I went straight to work.
In my own words, Empathy means to know how someone else feels, or being in their shoes.  It's very different from the word sympathy because sympathy means to feel sorry for someone and you don't know what they're going through.  Interdependence means to depend on someone and them depending on you.  You know when you think about it, you may have had your own personal experience with Empathy and Interdependence.  I know I've had my own personal experiences and I'll tell you about them.
In health class we're required o take a CPR rest and at first it was very confusing.  Czarina and I weren't feeling so confident.  When we were ready to go, we didn't do as well.  We felt discouraged and just sat back and watched the other students.  This is a good example of Empathy because I knew what Czarina was going through and how she felt after her first attempt of trying to do CPR. So for Interdependence, my story is that when I was sitting back and watching a couple of people pass the test, our teacher told us it was our last day to have him as our victim and we needed a partner from now on.  So I seen two of my class mates doing a good job on the CPR test and my class mate who was attempting to do CPR was about to pass until his partner messed up and he didn't get to pass that day.  That's when I noticed that we're only as good as our partner.  This is an example of Interdependence because we both depend on not messing up.  If the victim messes up, then you can't pass the test.  If the person attempting to pass messes up, then you can't have your chance on passing the test yet because that person doesn't know what they're doing and there's a great chance of that person messing up being the victim.
So this is my own personal experiences with Empathy and Interdependence.  Now it's your turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment