Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Draft Essay

Grandma's Pork Adobo
by Alexandria Cabacungan

It was a hot, boring summer day. I sat on the living froom couch with my grandma watching "The Three Stooges" while my parents were out working. After I watched three back to back episodes of "The Three Stooges", I fell asleep.

BAM! "Ugh, what's that smell?" I thought. It smelt like the vinegar was making its way up my nostrils and trying to suffocate me. "Mama! So stink! What you cooking?" I said as I made my way into the kitchen. "What you mean stink? Not stink. I cooking Pork Adobo." she replied. That was the conversation I could remember when I was a little girl and it was my first time hearing about pork adobo. As she cooked, she would always try to keep my older sister and I from arguing. Once she set down the Pork Adobo onto the kitchen table, I rememberd my sister racing to the Pork Adobo and start digging in. I would keep my distance from the food because of the weird aroma. Then, when I felt that I was going to die of starvation, I finally ate the Pork Adobo. "Mmmm! This is so good!" I thought these words once I put that one piece of pork into my mouth. Since then, I'm used to the smell and I really enjoy this dish.

Preperation for this dish takes time. But for my grandma, it's a piece of cake. She would just cut up the meat, place them in the pot, then add some black pepper, garlic, vinegar, water, shoyu, bay leaves and salt. I was really overwhelmed on how she doesn't need any measuring devices to prepare Pork Adobo and it tastes AMAZING! I guess it just comes naturally.

'Till this day, Pork Adobo is my favorite Filipino dish. I'm hoping my sister and I can be the ones who carry on this tradition in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Good Description (:
    Makes Me Want Pork Adobo Now :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex (:

    This is a good rough draft. You could have a few improvements.

    You did good on describing the memorable times you had pork adobo. I can just picture your mom trying to stop you and your sister from arguing.

    You could improve on describing pork adobo more. For example, you could describe the texture, flavor, etc. You had some typos but other than that, your draft was great.

    -kristen ^____^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,
    I agree with Kristen that this is a good draft. I think the use of dialog helps to bring the piece to life (though I think Kristen mistook your gradma for your mom in her comment). I also agree with her that the description of the dish could be extended. The ending seems kind of abrupt. Would also help to explain the smell to show why it was hard to adjust to at first...

    Are there any occasions (other than the very first time you ate it) that you associate with this dish? You don't have to describe them at length but it connect the food a bit more to your family history...is it a dish you associate with your grandma?

    Kiana--you need to put much more thought and effort into your commentary. These 1-2 line comments are not very helpful to your peers and they do not show me whether you understand the 6 traits.

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete