Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journal #25 : My Vocabulary History

1. When it comes to Word Choice in my reading or writing, it's very difficult for me.  I don't have an extensive vocabulary.  I'm so used to using the "everyday" words such as "good, bad, etc.".  If I ever do learn a new word, I forget about it the next day.

2. In middle school, we would have a book called "Daybook" and we'd read stories and poems. In that book, there are activities and questions that us students need to do.  It had difficult words in there that I've never used or even heard of.  Sometimes we'd work in groups so we could help one another. Another thing is that my teacher gives us worksheets where we have to copy the definitions for the words on the worksheets so when we go home, we have to fill in the blanks with the correct word for each sentence and circle, highlight, or even underline clues in the sentence to show how you got the correct word.

3.  I actually don't have any interest in learning new words unless they sound interesting.  But even if I do learn a new word, I won't use it the right way. I'd use it to be silly.  I would usually ask my mom if she knows what a certain word is when I'm reading a book. But if she doesn't know,  I'd sometimes open up the dictionary and search for the word.

4. My goals in Word Choice is to learn many new words so then I can use them daily. I want to learn how to learn new words easily.  To prove that I actually use these new words, I will try & read more difficult books & search for words that are unfamiliar to me then look them up in the dictionary.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex,
    An honest response to the questions :)
    So how would you reconcile your answers to #3 and #4?
    It might help to look at the end goal...vocabulary, by itself, is never the end goal. The only reason you need vocabulary is not vocab tests or not even the SAT...the reason is so that you can be a better communicator.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete